Pages

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Jack

Continued...


I stepped out the door and ran smack bang into someone.
Trying to hold both him and his heavy off balanced tray filled with flowers and food steady I braced myself for the horrendous, messy crash that was soon to come.
It didn’t.
I chuckled quietly and said. “Wow... that was close. Sorry about that, my bad.”
“No! No no, it was my fault... I should have been quicker.”
Who is that?
Glancing up I met the grey-gold eyes of Jack from down stairs.
Dang, he’s tall!! But all I said was, “Do you need help with anything?”
Jack didn’t even bother to hide his surprise. “Uh... no, I’m good... sorry, not my place to ask, but you aren’t from here, are you?”
I laughed. “No, it’s fine. No, I’m not. I just flew in from California.”
“First time out?”
“Well, I’ve been to Nevada to visit family, but that’s about it. I’m a home girl... Mercy.” I held out a hand. “My name is Mercy.”
He shook it. “Jack. Well...” he looked down at his nametag. He gasped. “Oh! This is for you.”
“What?”
“This...” he held up the tray. “Your friend had me bring it up for you.”
I was confused. I didn’t know anyone in New York and Molly wasn’t coming back until tomorrow. “Come on in then.” I stepped aside and held the door. I guess my exploring will have to wait.
Jack set it down on the counter by the sink.
“Did you catch her name?”
“It was a man, and no, I’m sorry to say that I didn’t.”
“Um... thank you.” This is weird. “Well, there is no way in heck that I can finish this all by myself by tomorrow. Take some with you and share it with your buddies.”
“Really? You don’t have to do that...”
“Yes, I do. I ran into you and I’ll feel guilty until you take something.”
Jack took stock of the large tray. “I couldn’t.”
“Then let me put it this way; you take many somethings from the tray, or I’ll TP your house.”
“You don’t know where I live.” Jack folded his arms triumphantly.
“Jack Stagar. There can’t be that many people with that name in his city. I’ll TP them all if I have too.”
He looked stunned. “How did you know my last name?”
I put a finger to my temple.
“Your psychic? I don’t believe it.”
“And your right not too. I’m not. I just saw your name on the paper when we ran into each other.”
Jack glanced at the clipboard he was holding. “Riiiiiiight...” he rubbed his neck and chuckled. “I forgot about that.”
“So; take things, or be punished by toilet paper.”
“Fine.” he grabbed a large chocolate bunny, a handful of flowers and a pocketful of wrapped candies. “There, satisfied?”
I squinted at him. “It’ll do.”


Not Ever To Be Continued...


† Silent Guardian †

No comments:

Post a Comment